Saturday, September 3, 2022

Pieces of Leather

 My first baseball mitt I remember using was an Al Kaline model from K Mart.  For High School I got a

Wilson Model 2000 of Al Kaline.  I still have that mitt to this day and have used it playing softball until a 

couple of years ago.  My recent Baseball card search is to find the earliest card with a colored glove that is 

not Black or Tan.



This 1986 is my oldest so far.




Lots of pictures with gloves on heads


Followed by the glove in teeth



Black and Tan


Left and Right, Was Ken Dayley ambidextrous



Glove on a bat


A boxing Glove


An old mitt



Helps balance the Karate move




















4 comments:

  1. Manny Trillo supposedly is the first player to wear a colored fielding glove. He colored the back of his tan glove blue. You can sort of see it on his 1982 and 1984 Topps cards, but you'd only notice it if you were looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be starting a project soon which involves looking closer at some of the equipment on cards (gloves, bats, caps etc). I'll keep a lookout re colored gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only owned three gloves in my life, but sadly I either sold or tossed my first glove. Pretty sure it was a Rawlings, but not 100% sure. My second glove was a Mizuno. Got that when I was a teenager and used it into my softball years. The third and final glove I purchased is a Nike... which is black. Pretty sure my friends and I were on a softball team where everyone used a "black" glove, so that's why I bought it.

    By the way.... love The Clown Prince of Baseball card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noticed today that Ed Figueroa has a blue glove on his 1975 Topps card. Surprised Night Owl didn't remember that, as he mentioned on his '75 Topps blog. https://75topps.blogspot.com/2011/03/476-ed-figueroa.html

    ReplyDelete

Sports Illustrated mini collections

 I've been entering my cards into TCDB for the last couple of months.  Most for sale or trade. I came across a box of SI that has not be...